Why does time go astray?
Everyone paid attention to the fact that even after a long shutdown of the computer from the power supply, when it is turned on again, the time and date are saved. This suggests that this information is permanent, it is stored regardless of the external electrical network. In the PC there is the only such memory - ROM. In this role is the BIOS, which just contains information about the date and time, and a permanent power source - 3V-battery.
Since the battery has its own life, the simplest reason why time is lost is its discharge.
BIOS battery replacement
Replacing the battery in this case is the only way to save the current date / time settings on your computer. The procedure is very simple:
- Turn off the computer, and then unplug it from the network.
- Unscrew the back and side walls of the system unit.
- Visually locate the battery on the motherboard.
- Pick it up with a flat screwdriver.
- Install a new battery type CR2032, observing polarity.
Now that the battery is installed, it remains to re-enter the date and time settings. This is described in the article How to change the time.
Software time recovery
There are other reasons for resetting the time settings, which are solved using the tools of the operating system.
- After the transition to winter or summer time, the clock is in a hurry or is behind by an hour. To solve this problem, do the following:
- In the tray area where the time is displayed, double-click the clock icon to set the date and time.
- In the window that opens, go to the "Internet Time" tab.
- Uncheck the box "Synchronize with a time server on the Internet."
- The time zone is incorrect. Setting the correct time zone is also made in the date and time settings in the "Time Zone" tab.
- If the time is reset to a specific date, including the computer’s assembly date, a possible reason in this case is to install programs in test mode (Trial version), which reset the hourly settings so that the free trial version of the program does not expire. The only way out is to remove the program from the computer.