What is the "threshold"? The meaning and features of the use of the word
Everyone knows the expression "on the threshold of a new life". It implies that the time of change has come, and is associated with a joyful and unknown yet future. What is the "threshold" in the direct meaning of the word, in what other contexts can it be used and what are the rules for its declension? About this further in detail.
Linguists identify up to four basic valuesthe word "threshold". Two of them are straight, and two more are portable. The word is quite common in everyday speech, as it denotes an element of a domestic interior.
1. A transverse rectangular bar located at the bottom of the doorway. In this context, the expressions "to step on / cross the threshold" are known. The meaning of the word is direct and most common in everyday speech.
- She did not have time to step on the threshold, the children came rushing in, asking about the gifts.
- There is a popular sign that you can not pass anything through the threshold.
2. Rocky or stony part of the river with a difference in water level and rapid current. Most often a shallow water zone.
- The boat was stuck in a narrow riverbed with small and sharp rapids.
- Thresholds can be formed by the exit of rocks to the surface, and reach a height of several meters.
3. The beginning, the frontier or the threshold of something. In this case, it is used in a figurative sense.
- He approached the border of a new age threshold and associated changes in perception.
- On the verge of change, it is difficult to contain strong emotions.
4. The smallest value that is the boundary of the manifestation of something.
- The minimum value of sound pressure is called the threshold of audibility.
- The threshold of consciousness is that which divides the conscious and the unconscious in the mental activity of man.
Morphological and syntactic features
The word "threshold", the meaning of which was considered above, is a noun, inanimate, masculine and second type of declension.
Root: -freed-. According to AA classification. Zaliznyaka refers to the type of declination 3a.
Synonyms for the word "threshold" include the followingwords: limit, step, boundary, beginning, break, bar, size, threshold, elevation. Each of them can be correlated with the main meaning in different contexts. What is the threshold, you can even more fully understand, if you analyze all the above synonyms and sort them into groups.
On the threshold of the new year, everyone is building far-reaching plans, dreaming of new achievements.
Phraseological units and stable combinations
Analysis of the meaning and variants of synonyms make it possible to understand what a threshold is. And what are the stable expressions and phraseological units with this word, which increase the imagery of speech?
- "To hurt the rapids." Has a disapproving connotation, means walking around constantly to solve certain problems, to finish the business or to express requests.
- "Here is God, but the threshold." Also has a disapproving meaning in colloquial speech. Expresses the proposal to leave home, leave, leave the speaker alone.
The threshold can be: low / high, acceptable / low / age /, church / door / metal / stone / pain / boiling, etc.
Actions related to the "threshold": to rush, get up / stand, come, rush, stumble, etc.
In terms of applications, the word most oftenis used in engineering and medicine, then there are areas of construction, aviation and general (household) vocabulary. What is the threshold in each direction will prompt the context, as well as associations with the basic variants of the meaning. In complex cases it is worthwhile to turn to the explanatory dictionary of concepts and terms.