Shaverma and Shawarma: what is the difference and how to prepare them?
Every year it becomes more and more popular juicydish with the use of aromatic pita bread. In most Slavic countries, the dish is called "shaverma" and "shaurma." What is the difference of names, even the progenitors of a dish can not always understand. It is believed that this is the same dish, it is simply called in different ways around the world. At the heart of the spicy roll is fatty meat (young lamb, chicken or turkey), pickled or fresh vegetables and, of course, a mix of spices.
How to make home shawarma, even the youngest schoolboy knows, the recipe for a delicious dish is passed from mouth to mouth. So he travels all over the world. To prepare such a roll you will need:
- 400-450 g of quality chicken fillet;
- 120 g of lettuce leaves (pick only crispy);
- 4 sheets of Armenian aromatic lavash (flat cakes);
- 1-1.5 fresh cucumber (all depends on the taste and size of vegetables);
- 1 marinated (salty) small cucumber;
- 1 large fleshy tomato;
- half of the onion;
- a clove (one and a half) of garlic;
- curry, small salt, pepper, coriander - to taste;
- Vegetable oil for frying meat and ready-made lavash.
The filling for shawarma is prepared in two basic stages: first pickled vegetables, and then roasted meat (young lamb and chicken rather quickly fried, so the meat is prepared in the last turn). But it is necessary to flavor the filling with spicy sauce. To prepare it you will need:
- 4 tbsp. spoons of quality ryazhenka;
- 4 tbsp. spoons of homemade mayonnaise;
- a mixture of your favorite kinds of pepper (you can use ready-made);
- denticle well crushed garlic.
Preparation of Shawarma
The first stage: we prepare the filling
- Prepared vegetables should be washed underwith a stream of water, dried and finely chopped (onion is cut finer than all others, so that its juice is evenly mixed with other ingredients). Marinated cucumber should also be cut into small cubes, mixed with vegetables and lightly sprinkled with cucumber brine.
- Meat - the main trump card, which hides shaverma andShawarma. What is the difference between snacks with lamb or chicken, can tell a true connoisseur of the dish. Lamb is more juicy and oily, with vertical classic frying all layers of meat on the spit are soaked more evenly. Chicken meat almost does not give juice, ready-made meat turns slightly dryish. To make the maximum possible copy of meat "in the oriental" at home, it is necessary to heat the vegetable oil on fire and pour into it the large-sliced garlic (but the well-crushed garlic will give more flavor).
- Meat should be cut into thin oblongpieces. Then it is poured with a mixture of prepared spices (cardamom will give a colorful flavor, but if it is not, you can replace cinnamon). Meat must be roasted until the golden crust, making sure that the spices do not burn, otherwise it can ruin the taste of the finished filling.
The second stage: prepare the sauce
- When the filling for shawarma is ready, you can proceed to a spicy sauce. To do this, you need to mix garlic with fermented milk, mixing the mixture carefully.
- Then it should be set aside for 100 minutes - the juice of garlic will open well in a fermented woman.
- After that, it is necessary to cook homemade mayonnaise and spices.
The third stage: we form shaurma
- On the expanded leaves of Armenian lavash you need to put clean dry leaves of lettuce, decorate them with vegetable filling, and already it should be unloaded a portion of meat.
- Gorka seasoned with chaotic sauce, so as not to get a wet roll as a result.
- You can wrap pita bread in random order, making sure that one end is completely hermetic.
The second recipe
Not less than noble is considered flavored with lemonjuice of shaverma and shaurma. What is the difference between this and the past recipe? To understand this issue, it is necessary to consider the components of this shawarma. So, let's begin.
For sauce it will be required:
- 1 tbsp. l. lemon juice;
- 4 tbsp. l. homemade yogurt;
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic;
- 1 tsp. whole coriander;
- 1 tsp. good wine vinegar;
- a pinch of salt.
For two quite substantial portions of shaverm you need:
- 400-420 g of young lamb;
- fresh large pita bread;
- 2 cucumbers and 2 medium tomatoes;
- half (or third) of the bulb;
- a teaspoon of black whole pepper, whole zira and cardamom;
- half a teaspoon of turmeric and dry granulated garlic;
- pinch of paprika;
- a tablespoon of vegetable oil (can be replaced with olive or linseed oil).
In order to get a classic shaverma, the recipe of which we now describe, it is necessary to supplement the dish with twigs of cilantro or a young parsley.
- Begin the preparation of shaverma withmarinade for meat - pepper, ziru, cardamom, turmeric and garlic should be ground in a strong container, then mix the paprika and salt with the mixture and stir again. The last is to add oil. Then dry seasonings should stand with oil for about 10 minutes, then the marinade will fully reveal its taste.
- Meat, cut into several pieces, it is necessary to rub the standing marinade and set aside in a dark place for an hour.
- At this time, you can prepare oriental sauce, for this you need to mix yoghurt with crushed garlic and stir well. Then you can mix dry coriander, lemon juice, salt and vinegar.
- Marinated meat must be roasted on a grill (hot pan), vegetables marinate for a couple of minutes. You can fold the prepared stuffing in any order, the taste of the roll does not suffer from it.
Now you understand what shaverma and shaurma are, inthan the difference between these dishes. We also examined how to cook such a dish. We hope that due to our recommendations you can make a delicious oriental dish.