How to retell the text?
In order to develop oral speech, it is necessary to form the skills of retelling the text close to the read. How to learn to retell the text? You will learn about this from our article.
Learning to retell
In order for a child to learn retelling, an adult must work with him. After reading the recommendations below, it will be possible to learn how to teach a child to retell the text. Children need to show a certain scheme of work on the text, he must learn methods of memorizing and formulating his thoughts. It is necessary to move from simple to complex, gradually reducing the amount of its assistance.
- To pick up the text for retelling. It should be simple, easy to understand child. Let the younger children retell a fairy tale or another short piece. Let the child read aloud if he can. Older children may already be teaching text.
- Divide the text into semantic parts. For each passage to ask the child a question in the sequence of narration. If the child is difficult to formulate an answer, then only in this case help him.
- Answering questions, it is necessary to find the main words or phrases. With their help, a plan of the text. You can write or highlight the main words in the meaningful passages with a pencil. Plan items should be short, 2-3 words.
- Ask the child, using reference words, to try to retell the text. For starters, it can be brief and monosyllabic. Do not demand much at once. Then check with the retold text.
- While working on the text for the second time, the child’s attention should be paid to the vivid examples that accompany each item of the plan. This will help to remember the sequence and meaning of the items. After that, the child must retell the text a second time, in more detail. He needs to help formulate voluminous sentences.
- For better memorization and understanding, as well as clarification of minor details, it is necessary to work on the text a third time on the text. And this time the child should tell the text himself, without your help.
Such work should be carried out within 3-5 days. During this time, the child must learn to work with texts independently.
Retelling English texts
Retelling texts in English is required almost at every lesson. Not all this is easy. Some students do not even know how to retell the text in English.There is a specific retelling algorithm. Maybe he will be useful to someone.
- The text must be read carefully. If possible, understand what it is about.
- Write out unfamiliar words on a piece of paper or in a special notebook.
- Find transcription and translation of written words.
- Make a translation of the text, at least approximate.
- Retell the text in Russian in order to make sure that the meaning is correctly understood and the essence is captured.
- Start retelling text in paragraphs. First, each paragraph must be read, remembering the basic constructs and phrases, then it will be translated in detail, re-told in Russian, and only then in English.
- Retell the whole text.
Everyone, of course, can have their own algorithms and rules for retelling texts, both English and Russian. This article just gave some examples of such algorithms. You can add and change them. How to retell the text, you decide for yourself.