How to install windows from a flash drive?
Watch the video
Many people are used to installing Windows from a disk, however, you can also perform this procedure from removable media. This article will tell you how to install Windows 7 from a flash drive.
Preparing a flash drive
- We insert the USB drive into the appropriate slot, go to the "My Computer" section, click on the drive icon that appears with the right mouse button, select "Format" in the drop-down menu.
- Specify the formatting parameters - the FAT32 system, the tick "Fast" is not necessary. Click the "Continue" button.
- Download the UltraISO program and the Windows 7 image.
- Install and open UltraISO, select "File" in the main menu, then "Open". Find the downloaded ISO image and open it.
- In the main menu, click the item "Self-loading", then "Burn image from the hard disk."
- In the next window in the line "Disk Drive" specify the path to the flash drive. In the line "Write method", select "USB-HDD", click "Write".
- We are waiting for the recording process to end. As soon as it is completed, the deed is done: the flash drive with the image of the system with which we will carry out the installation is ready!
More ways to create a bootable USB flash drive will be found in the articles:
Now it is necessary to set such parameters of the system so that when loading it it would not appeal to the hard disk, but to our flash drive.
- We reboot the computer, among the changing screen savers we look carefully at the one on which the inscription "Press *** to enter SETUP" is displayed. Depending on the computer model, the place of the asterisks can be taken by combinations - F1, F2, F3, Delete, etc. Click the one that is required.
- If you had time to press the button, you will find yourself in the BIOS menu. In the event that you did not have time to press the button, send the computer to reboot again.
- In the BIOS menu, select the "Boot" tab, then "Boot Device Priority" and in the "1st Boot Device" line, change the "Hard Drive" parameter to USB-Zip. Again, depending on the computer model, instead of USB-Zip you can see USB-floppy, USB-CD, etc. In this case, your reference point is "USB." Important! Use the arrow keys as well as hot keys to control the BIOS menu. The values of the combinations you can see in the BIOS menu itself.
- Now you need to save the changes and exit. As a rule, this combination is performed by one button F10.
After you exit the BIOS menu, the computer will restart, you will see a black screen with a white bar and the words "Windows is loading files ...". When the download is complete:
- In the Install Windows window that appears, select the language, input format and time, click the Next button.
- In the next window, select the "Install" button, after which a license agreement will appear in front of you, which you need to accept and click "Next."
- Now you need to choose the type of installation, there are only two options: "Update" and "Full installation". Select the last item.
- In the new window, you can select the Windows installation partition, as well as perform partitioning of the disk. Why do you need it? If you divide a disk, say, into three sections (in one of which you place the system, in the second you will store the installation files of various programs, and in the third, various personal content), you will first be comfortable, and, secondly, You can reinstall the system without harming other data. The splitting is done via the "Disk Setup" button. Important! If your disk is already partitioned, but you want to perform a repartition for any reason, remember, your files will most likely suffer!
- Once you have decided on the partitions, you can click the "Next" button, after which the installation of the system will begin immediately. Here you only need patience.Installation may take from 10 to 30 minutes - depending on the power of your computer. You will see how the installation is done step by step - copying files, unpacking, installing, etc. At the completion of some steps, the computer will restart, do not worry, everything goes as it should.
- When the installation process is complete, you will see a window in which you can set the username and computer name, and next you can set a password for your account.
- In the window "Help automatically protect your computer ..." select "Use recommended settings." This setting can be delayed and then made via the control panel.
- In the next window, select the date, time and click "Next." We are waiting for a few seconds and see the desktop of the updated system.
In order for our system to work properly, you need to install a number of drivers. Ideally, when all the drivers for your computer / laptop were delivered in the box with the device and you did not lose them. Then all you need is to insert the appropriate disk, start the installation and, following the prompts of the Installation Wizard, quickly and easily complete all the work.But what to do in the case when there are no drivers or you have lost the disk somewhere? Of course, look for the right drivers on the network.
First of all, it is necessary to determine what type of drivers you need, for this we will need additional software:
- Download the program Everest, install and run it.
- In the tab of the program "Devices" select "Windows Devices".
- In the right window of the program you will see a series of devices with a question yellow sign next to it. These are the devices for which there are not enough drivers.
- Now we are faced with the task of determining what these devices are. To do this, click alternately on each of them - in the lower right window of the program will appear the necessary information.
- We are interested in the line of a PCI device. We rewrite the contents of this line for each device or copy them into a text document.
- Now the task remains for small: to find drivers for all devices in the network. Today on the Internet you can find a lot of sites that allow you to download a driver for any device. Here are some of them - , , .
It is recommended to install the drivers in the following order:
- Video card
- Sound card
- Wi-Fi adapter
- Other devices.
As a rule, installation of drivers is a simple task, you simply run the downloaded installation file, and all work, as a rule, is performed automatically. But remember that after installing each driver, you must perform a reboot if the system does not perform it yourself.
Once all the drivers have been installed, you can fully work on the computer. Good luck!