How to draw comics?
Drawing comics is a very interesting activity for creative people, which develops imagination, imagination and ability to draw. Comics are a storytelling with pictures and replicas of heroes, and drawing them is not as easy as it seems. Today we talk about how to learn to draw comics.
Comic book composition
Comics are not squares of different sizes with characters drawn inside. To really entice the reader, you need to be able to build your comics in the right composition. When you learn to build a perfect composition, you will understand how to draw cool comics.
We will talk about several important rules for building comics:
- The first and last lines of the comic should contain a close-up frame. It can be located several heroes, the surrounding area, details, and more. The goal in the first case is to introduce the reader to the situation in which the action will take place; in the second case, it is necessary to show where and how the story ended, finally, to delay the reader's attention.
- The comic begins with a separate strip and ends with it.In other cases, in the whole process of narration, the comic is built on spreads.
- Each individual picture should be a complete thought, and all the action on the spread - as in the book, the finished paragraph.
- At the turn, the action moves from the upper left to the lower right. In general, the action in the entire comic goes from top to bottom, and it is more convenient for the reader to view the frames from left to right.
- If the comic is long, then the reader should be prompted to turn the page, so each page should end with an interesting frame. For example, an unfinished action or question, the answer to which will be on the next page.
- Correctly alternate plans. In general, they are the same as in movies and on television: a plan is a detail (only one small object is shown in the picture, a part of something bigger: for example, lips with a smile); close-up - in the frame of the hero on the chest or only his head; medium plan - the hero is taken to the level of the knees; general plan - the hero or heroes are taken (s) in full growth, the surrounding area is shown; the most general plan is that the big heroes are shown very small, like insects, there may be a lot of them. Plans must alternate properly, a long construction on the basis of one plan quickly tires the reader and makes the comic boring. You can alternately alternate "eight".The “Eight” is a communication of two heroes, where in each new frame one of two heroes is shown, and in the next - the other, and both of them are in the same plan. So the reader sees the communication and reaction of the characters to each other. At each lane there should be at least one general plan, and at each turn - at least two.
- Horizontal shots are used to slow down the action, familiarity with the situation. Vertical - for scenes with fast action, with the climax of the plot.
- In large frames - one large or several actions, in small frames - one short action. All frames must be of different sizes.
- In large frames on large plans, the background must be detailed, in small frames the background is not needed.
- Heroes and other components of the comic should be placed according to their replicas. Replicas are recorded in special text balloons (clouds, rectangles, ovals, etc.). Each of the cylinders has its own purpose. Cylinders can be used different, but they all have to fit into the frame of your frame. Author's speech should not be much. Ideally - in the first frame to get acquainted with the situation and in the last - for summing up and the epilogue.
- You can use a different font, which will also be a means of transmitting feelings and emotions. For example, large letters of the same size show an emotional cry, while small ones show a whisper and a quiet voice.
There are many more rules, because drawing comics is a kind of art that needs to be learned. Now we will specifically consider how to draw comics, where to start and what stages to break up your work.
We will talk about how to draw comics with a pencil. First, make a clear story that you want to tell the reader, and then break it into episodes, frames and make a plan. In the classic drawing of comics, the plan is made on a large sheet, with an indication of all the frames, their sequence, schematic drawing of the characters and their replicas. In general, a good plan is a well-designed draft of a future comic book. Also think about how many characters are in your comic. Every live character will have to say at least one remark or express any emotion.
The plan is ready. Now you can start drawing the comic itself. To do this, take a clean sheet of paper and, in accordance with your plan, make initial sketches, draw frame boundaries, sketch out the characters and the shape of the balloons.
Clearly with the help of a pencil and a ruler draw the boundaries of each frame.
Next, start drawing pictures individually. How to draw comic book characters? If you do not know how best and more beautiful to depict this or that character, pick up on the Internet as an example a picture with the image of the appearance of the hero, which you would like to see in your comic. For example, you need a dog, but you don’t know how to draw it. You can find a picture with a funny and interesting dog that you like and redraw it into your comic. At first, until you learn to draw clearly, use auxiliary lines that will help you to depict the figures faster and more beautifully. Remember that live characters must be interesting, must express emotions.
When the borders and drawings are ready, start drawing text in balloons. The text can first be drawn with a pencil, but then it is better to circle a brighter and clearer outline, for example, with a special pen. Next, circle the frame borders. Many of those who draw comics prefer ink strokes, but the ink dries slowly, so you should try not to touch the fresh lines so as not to spoil the comics.Well, in the end circle the figures of heroes and other components of the drawings, and not only outline the outer contours of the figures, but also other details on the body - eyes, language, buttons, clothing borders, etc. If you want color comics, then you can color the pictures before the stroke. You can also circle all the boundaries, leave the comics to dry, and then with the help of computer devices to color the comics.
We told you briefly how to draw comics. It is a fascinating and interesting, but painstaking matter, which you still need to learn first. Only the most general information is collected here, details can be found from other sources. I wish you success!